A looong cover!

I’ve just finished the drawings of my next French book: “Le Crépuscule de Tellure”, written by Fabrice David and Gregory Lassablière, published by Soleil. Colors are made by Paolo Francescutto, who already worked on “La Conjuration de Cluny”, issued by Glènat last summer.

The cover required a lot of work, I did many versions, and some of them were almost completed.

These are the fisrt sketches:

The first idea was the one that we liked the most, so I made a better drawing, defining the background and studying different poses for the character:

The result was somewhat poor, so we added a bad guy on the background, bringing forward the character. I finished this drawing: pencils and inks. Here there are:

But just before starting colors… change! New character, that I draw completely: pencil, ink and color. Only the background wasn’t completed yet:

But now we need to change the background. New idea, keeping only the main character. And a new color palette, because orange and brown are too much widely used. This idea seems to work, and I made inks and colors: this is the finished cover!

Ah ah! …no!

It’s not finished.

It doesn’t work.

Lest’s start from scratch!

We came back to brainstorming, and explore new and different directions. Here there are 6 sketches of new ideas:

Nothing. The cover isn’t among them!

And finally a new idea comes, and everybody feels that’s the right one:

This sketch will lead us to the final cover, the one you’ll see on the book. I don’t post it yet, waiting to know something more about when the book will be issued.

phew…!

The good of all this work is that I feel that we reached a good cover, the best one until now!

3 comments to “A looong cover!”
  1. E’ pazzesco ciò che ho letto. Questo è un travaglio, a volte min chiedo se il lettore è a conoscenza della lunga via crucis che porta al risultato finale. Bisognerebbe realizzare un documentario in stile “Quark” o “Passaggio a Nordovest”… Pazzesco! Personalmente le copertine le preferisco dinamiche, comunque con una torsione o un movimento. Molto meglio aver virato verso l’ultima con le spade in primo piano e il tizio accovacciato!
    Spero che, a parte la soddisfazione personale, siate stati ricompensati adeguatamente per tutte le energie spese!

  2. E’ stato davvero assurdo. Ho cominciato la copertina a Luglio e l’ho finita alla fine di Novembre, disegnando nel frattempo le 25 tavole del fumetto che mancavano… In ogni caso è un elemento davvero fondamentale per le vendite, almeno in Francia, in cui ti devi “acchiappare” il lettore in quei pochi giorni durante i quali l’albo rimane esposto “di faccia”, prima di finire “di costa”, quindi capisco l’attenzione dell’editore.
    In effetti è anche un po’ colpa mia che mi ero fissato col “faccione” in primo piano, se fossi andato subito verso qualcosa di movimentato avrei finito prima. Me lo segno per la prossima volta!

  3. Pingback: E’ uscito “Le Crepuscule de Tellure”! | Luca Malisan

Comments are closed.